When hearing static, crackling on the line, buzzing, or other audio quality issues, hardware failure might be the cause. Hardware failure typically affects one device at a time and not all devices on the network. Common symptoms of hardware failure include:
- Static on the line
- Crackling or popping sounds
- Buzzing on the line
- The speakerphone works fine, but the handset does not
- The handset works fine, but the headset does not
- The headset works fine, but the handset does not
To begin troubleshooting, test the handset on a different phone of the same make and model. If the issue persists on another phone, the handset is defective. Replace the handset and restest to resolve the issue.
To test a headset, connect the headset to another phone, and If the issue persists on the other phone, the headset is defective. Replace the headset or headset cord and retest to resolve the issue.
Faulty Ethernet cords can also cause static and line quality issues. Replace the Ethernet cord to see if the audio issue persists.
Finally, a failing power supply may cause audio issues. Test the audio with a different power adapter. If the audio issue does not persist, replace the power adapter.
- Why Do I Hear Crackling on the Line?
- Why Do I Hear Background Noise on the Line?
- Why Do I Hear Buzzing on the Line?