The ideal network involves your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connecting onsite to a stand-alone modem that connects to a router, preferably a router recommended to you from Nextiva. If you have more devices on your network than ports on your router, you can connect a switch to your router to expand the number of ports.
The TimeWarner Arris TG1672 may need to be placed into Bridge Mode and connected to a recommended router if the configuration settings below are unsuccessful in resolving audio and phone issues.
There are three main areas that you should be concerned with regarding your network. They are:
SIP ALG: Nextiva uses port 5062 to bypass SIP ALG, however, having this disabled is always recommended. SIP ALG inspects and modifies SIP traffic in unexpected ways causing one-way audio, deregistrations, random error messages when dialing and calls going to voicemail for no reason.
DNS Relay/Proxying: By default, DNS relay is disabled If DNS relay is enabled, it will need to be disabled. Nextiva always recommends using the Google DNS servers of 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
PixieDust Attack: The TimeWarner Arris TG1672 v.1 is vulnerable to this attack, which will cause TimeWarner to lock your TG1672 immediately if an attack is discovered.
To Disable SIP ALG and Enter DNS Server Configuration:
- Login to the router by navigating to the IP address of the Default Gateway.
- Go to Firewall > ALG.
- Disable SIP ALG (uncheck the box).
- Allow ICMP Ping (check the box).
- Go to LAN Setup > DNS Override (check the box).
- Enter the following required information:
- Primary DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
- Secondary DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- Disable DNS Relay (uncheck the box).
- Reboot all devices including the router. To clear out the DNS cache, run the following command from the command line: ipconfig /flushdns