What is phone number transferring (aka porting)?
Transferring is the process of moving your phone number away from your old/current provider and moving it to use with a new provider, such as Nextiva.
- You don’t want to transfer numbers tied to your alarm systems or elevators. These numbers should remain on analog lines. The reason is, in the event of a power or internet outage, your local network will cease to work, meaning it will not support VOIP calls. We suggest keeping these emergency lines on a service that is unaffected by power or internet outages.
- For credit card machines or postage meters, confirm with the service provider that VOIP works with their service. Some require you to maintain an analog phone line.
- If the number you are transferring is attached to your DSL line, your DSL will not work once the number is ported over to our service. Please contact your Internet Service Provider for a solution.
- If you are unsure if a number is fax or voice we recommend moving it to us as voice, as this will allow for any forwarding that may be needed.
- Ensure that all numbers that need to port are requested at the same time. Submitting additional LOAs with additional numbers may result in having to wait for the initial port to complete prior to submitting additional requests or submitting a new LOA with all numbers listed.
- If phone numbers reside on separate accounts, separate LOAs will be required with their own specific information.
- You will receive three emails from the Nextiva Porting team:
- The port request has been submitted, and a port date has been requested.
- Confirming firm order commitment of a port date from your current provider.
- Within 24 hours of the port being completed, you will receive the third email confirming completion. At this time, you can cancel the service with your previous provider.
Let’s dive in a little deeper:
How do I transfer my number to Nextiva?
Nextiva works with one of our hosted carriers to transfer your numbers, which requires a completed Letter Of Agency (LOA) and a recent bill from the current provider to start. During this time, you will have service with both Nextiva and your previous provider. You are encouraged to set up your Nextiva phone system using the temporary numbers assigned to you before the completion of transferring. For more information on transferring your numbers to Nextiva, click here.
How long does it take to transfer a number?
Transferring can take 2-4 weeks to complete. If you have not received a confirmation email after 48 business hours of submission, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Submit a Case.
How do I forward calls during a transfer?
Once your Nextiva servicses are set up, you’ll want to set up a forward with your current provider so that your numbers will route to your Nextiva service before the transfer completes.
Can you contact my current carrier and forward my telephone numbers for me?
No. Nextiva is not authorized to add or make changes to your account with your current provider. Please contact your current provider to set up a forward to your temporary Nextiva numbers.
Can I transfer my phone number to use as both a voice and fax?
No. Nextiva can transfer your number as either a voice or fax number, but it cannot be used as both.
When will my transfer be completed?
The transferring process generally takes 2 to 4 weeks (10-20 business days) to complete from the time of submission. We will submit your information to one of our hosted carriers, who will then submit the transfer request to your current carrier. We will check the status of the transfer request daily and inform you via email as soon as we receive a confirmed scheduled transfer date from the current carrier.
When can I cancel service with my current carrier?
Disconnected numbers cannot be transferred. Please wait until your number has been completely transferred before calling to cancel service with your current provider. Nextiva Support will send you a port date via email, sometimes referred to as a FOC (Firm Order Commitment date). We recommend waiting a couple of days after your transfer has been completed before calling to cancel with your old/current carrier.
When you do cancel with your previous provider, please confirm with them that they are removing the number from their system. If your number is left in their system, some of their customers may have trouble calling you.
Why was my transfer request rejected?
Either there is an account mismatch and the LOA that needs to be corrected, there’s a pending order on your account, or a feature removal is needed, such as a distinctive ring.
When a transfer request has been rejected, Nextiva Porting will email you the detailed reason and how to resolve this with your current carrier. You must contact your current carrier to obtain the correct information and resolve the issue.
Please inform our team when the issue has been resolved so that we may resubmit the request.
What time of day will my numbers transfer?
Due to the fluctuating volume of ports daily for each carrier, a specific time of day is not scheduled for ports to complete.
How much does it cost to transfer my numbers?
You may be responsible for paying your current provider and Nextiva for service during the transfer process.
Why do you say my numbers are not portable, but my current carrier says they are?
Nextiva uses hosted carriers to transfer telephone numbers. We have inquired with all of our carriers, and essentially, it is because of the rate center (or prefix) this number falls into. We do not have a “footprint” in the geographical area and are not able to service these numbers. Unfortunately, there is nothing further we can do, as our providers explain that building routes and coverage to areas such as these can be a lengthy process.
Alternatively, if you do not need this specific number(s), we can assign a new, similar number(s) under our service.
How can I cancel a transfer request?
Once your porting request has been accepted for an exact transferring date, we will require 72 hours notice in order to cancel the order if necessary.
To cancel a transfer away from Nextiva, please contact the new provider to which you submitted the LOA paperwork.
How can I transfer out my number?
Nextiva uses hosted carriers to provide service for your numbers. If you are attempting to transfer away from Nextiva, your new provider will be working with one of our hosted carriers. Please note some of our numbers are under Nextiva’s name and address on our hosted carriers’ account. Please email email@example.com or Submit a Ticket for questions. Include a list of Nextiva numbers you want to transfer out so that we may send you the correct Customer Service Record information needing to be forwarded to your new provider.
Fill out your new provider’s LOA with the Customer Service Record information provided. Then the new company can submit the request. Contact your new provider for an update on the status of your port.
Nextiva will not cancel your account unless requested. Please contact us after your numbers have completed porting out if a cancellation is needed.