A soft phone like the 3CX is a software program for making telephone calls over the Internet using a general purpose computer, rather than using dedicated hardware. Often, a soft phone is designed to behave like a traditional telephone, sometimes appearing as an image of a phone, with a display panel and buttons with which the user can interact. A soft phone is usually used with a headset connected to the sound card of the PC.
How to set up a 3CX soft phone in the Nextiva Portal:
- You will first need to add a Generic SIP Device to your account.For administrators, log in to the NextOS Portal by going to www.nextiva.com and selecting Customer Login from the top right corner. Enter your login credentials and click Sign in. Select Sites & Employees then click on Login under the Admin Login column. Click Users and search for the employee whose information you wish to edit. Click Edit.
For users, log in to the Customer Portal by going to cp.nextiva.com.
Click View & Edit Devices, then select Add New Device.
- Click on Bring Your Own Device.
- From the Device Type drop down menu, select Generic SIP Phone then click Continue. From here, you will need to assign the Generic SIP Phone to an employee. Click on Sites & Employees then Employees.
- Click Edit next to the employee to whom you wish to assign the phone. Click Assign New Device in the “Assigned Devices” field.
- From the Device drop down, select Generic SIP Phone. Then click Generate next to “Authentication Password.” Write down the SIP Username, Authentication Name, and the Authentication Password (you will later enter these into the soft phone), then click Submit.
- Once the device is assigned, launch your 3CXPhone. Click on the Menu button at the very bottom of the phone.
- Click Accounts then click New on the right side of the Accounts window.
- Fill in the following fields then click OK at the bottom of the window:
- AccountName: Enter a name for your 3CX Phone account
- Caller ID: Enter your name here
- Extension: Enter the SIP Username you wrote down earlier
- ID: Enter the Authentication Name you wrote down earlier
- Password: Enter the Authentication Password you wrote down earlier
- Select the I am in the office – local IP radio button and enter prod.voipdnsservers.com into the field next to it.
- Click OK again on the Accounts window. Then click the Menu button again. This time, select Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, uncheck the “Allow video calls” box and click OK. Your 3CX Phone is now ready to use.