I’m a big fan of forging my own way, relying on my instincts (backed up by research, of course) to make my business decisions. But there are times when it’s wise to heed the words of successful folks. There’s a lot of wisdom in the following quotes:
On Your Employees:
Hire good ones and treat them like gold. Listen to the experts on how to keep your most valuable business asset around.
4. “Hire character. Train skill.” Peter Schutz
On the Nature of the Successful Entrepreneur:
Though we all find our ways individually, there are certain qualities entrepreneurs possess.
7. “The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It’s as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today. The true entrepreneur is a doer, not a dreamer. “ Nolan Bushnell
8. “Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion.” Jack Welch
9. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. “ Charles Darwin
One of the qualities I most admire is the ability to strip a situation down to its essence – to deal only with what’s absolutely necessary.
11. “If you see a snake, just kill it. Don’t appoint a committee on snakes.” Henry Ross Perot
12. “That's been one of my mantras – focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.” Steve Jobs
13. “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” E.F. Schumacher
We all stumble from time to time. The successful people are the ones who get back up and keep moving in the right direction.
I know inspirational quotes won’t solve all the world’s problems, but when you’re struggling or uncertain, it’s useful to know that other successful people have faced the very same struggles, persevered, and succeeded.