Nextiva SMS is a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) feature that empowers users to send and receive text messages with their Nextiva App to and from any cell phone. All messages sent to a Nextiva phone number are stored in the Chat section of the Nextiva App, eliminating combined personal and business related text/SMS message traffic.
Messages sent from the Nextiva App to a cell phone are received the standard SMS deposit location (iMessage, Messages etc.) for the recipient. You will need to create a new contact for each SMS recipient, even if they are located in your company Directory, with the IM field formatted as email@example.com.
NOTE: If you only use the Nextiva App, the Chat section (where SMS messages are stored) is cleaned up every 7 days. Please copy and save any chats you wish to keep.
NOTE: As a prerequisite, a Pro or Enterprise Business Communication Suite license, an Office Pro Plus or Office Enterprise license, or the Nextiva App add-on is required to use the Nextiva App to send and receive SMS messages. There is an initial setup that must be completed as well. Please Submit a Ticket to request the SMS feature to be enabled.
Click the links below to jump to the corresponding section:
To Add an SMS Contact:
- Open the Nextiva App and click the Contacts menu at the top, then select New Contact.
Adding a New Contact
- Enter the Display Name of the Contact, then scroll down to the IM Address field.
- Enter the SMS-enabled number for the Contact using the following format:
To Send an SMS to a Contact:
- Open the Nextiva App and navigate to the Contacts section.
- Locate the contact you want to send an SMS to in the My Contacts section, right-click the contact, then select Chat.
NOTE: If the contact is already in your Directory, you need to create a duplicate contact in the Contacts section. If you attempt to send a message to a Contact in your Directory, you will send an Instant Message to their Nextiva App and not an SMS. Nextiva recommends naming the Contact with – SMS at the end of the name to distinguish the SMS Contact.
- Type your SMS message, then press the Enter key.
- When you receive a reply, the SMS will be in the Chat section of your Nextiva App.
To Receive an SMS:
- Open the Nextiva App and navigate to the Chat section.
- All SMS messages that have been received but not viewed will display a notification icon , as well as a notification window if it is enabled.
Windows Nextiva App Notification Window
- All received and sent SMS messages will be stored in the Chat section in the Nextiva App.