Nextiva SMS is a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) feature that empowers users to send and receive text messages with their Nextiva App to and from any SMS-enabled number (like a cell phone). All messages sent to a Nextiva phone number are stored in the Chat section of the Nextiva App, eliminating combined personal and business related text/SMS message traffic.
Messages sent from the Nextiva App to an SMS-enabled number are stored in the standard SMS deposit location (iMessage, Messages etc.) for the recipient. You will need to create a new contact for each SMS recipient, even if they are located in your company Directory, with the IM field formatted as firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: If you only use the Nextiva App, the Chat section (where SMS messages are stored) is cleaned up every 7 days. Please copy and save any chats you wish to keep.
NOTE: As a prerequisite, an Office Pro Plus or Office Enterprise license, or Nextiva App add-on, is required to use the Nextiva App to send and receive SMS messages. There is an initial setup that must be completed as well. Please Submit a Ticket to request the SMS feature to be enabled.
Click the links below to jump to the corresponding section:
To Add an SMS Contact:
- Open the Nextiva App and tap the Contacts icon at the top, then tap the Plus Sign at the top-right.
- Tap Add Contact.
Adding a Contact
- Enter the Display Name and the IM Address of the Contact using the following format:
- Enter any additional information for the Contact, then tap OK at the bottom of the screen.
To Send an SMS to a Contact:
- Open the Nextiva App and navigate to the Contacts section.
- Locate the contact you want to send an SMS to in the My Contacts section and tap the Contact.
NOTE: If the contact is already in your Directory, you need to create a duplicate contact in the Contacts section. If you attempt to send a message to a Contact in your Directory, you will send an Instant Message to their Nextiva App and not an SMS. Nextiva recommends naming the Contact with – SMS at the end of the name to distinguish the SMS Contact.
- Tap the Chat button.
- Type your SMS message in the Type your message field, then press the Send key.
- When you receive a reply, the SMS will be in the Chat section of your Nextiva App.
To Receive an SMS:
- Open the Nextiva App and navigate to the Chat section.
- All SMS messages that have been received but not viewed will display a notification icon , as well as a push notification if the feature is enabled on your device.
Chat Push Notification
- All received and sent SMS messages will be stored in the Chat section in the Nextiva App.