At times you will need to update the call routing on your Auto Attendant. This will need to be done if you expand your message options, add users or departments, implement a new voicemail box or even add directions callers can hear, as an example.
- Visit www.nextiva.com, and click Client Login to log in to NextOS.
- From the NextOS home page, select Voice.
- From the Nextiva Voice Admin Dashboard, hover your cursor over Advanced Routing, then click Auto Attendants.
- On the Manage Auto Attendants screen, click the drop-down menu to select the location to which the Auto Attendant belongs.
Select Auto Attendant Location
- Hover your cursor over the Auto Attendant, and click the name of the Auto Attendant, or click the pencil icon to the right.
Edit Auto Attendant
- Click to expand the Business hours main menu section.
Business Hours Menu
- Change the descriptions, actions, and the relevant data to fit your needs. Below is a list of available actions:
- Key: The numbered option that callers will press (“for sales, press 1, for support, press 2,” etc.).
- Description: A description for the numbered option.
- Connect To: Specifies what should happen when callers press that key. The most common option is Number/extension, which immediately forwards the call to an extension or external number. Here’s a list of actions:
- Number/extension (prompt xfer): Sends the call to an extension or external number, but plays a short message before doing so. If the call is being transferred to an extension on the same account, the message that will play is “Transferring to…” and the recorded name from the voicemail box. If the call is being transferred to an external number, the message that will play is “Please wait while your call is transferred.”
- Number/extension: Sends the call to an extension or external number without playing any messages.
- Transfer to Operator: Sends the call to an extension or external number after playing a message that says “Please wait while your call is transferred to the operator.” Callers who do not dial an extension or press a numbered option on the Auto Attendant will be transferred to the operator. This should be the 0 option on the menu.
- Name Dialing: Sends the call to an automated menu, which prompts the caller to enter on their phone the name of the person with which they wish to speak.
- Extension Dialing: Sends the call to an automated menu, which allows the caller to enter the extension of the person with which they wish to speak. This is not necessary if the Enable first-level extension dialing check box is selected.
- Voicemail Box: Sends the call to the voicemail box of the Auto Attendant.
- Recorded Message: Plays a message, then sends the call back to the main auto attendant menu.
- Repeat Menu: Replays the message.
- Disconnect Message: Ends the call.
- Action data: The extension or external number the call should route to when callers press that numbered option. This does not apply to actions such as Exit or Replay the message.
TIP: To send a call to the voicemail box of an extension, enter *55, followed by the extension number (e.g. *551000 for extension 1000).
- Click Save. A pop-up window will appear confirming that the Auto Attendant has been updated.