YouTube is the #2 most commonly searched website online. In fact, how to videos are the most common content searched on YouTube, but when you are really trying to make a splash online you want to create a viral video. I don’t believe in luck, I believe in proven systems. There is a process for creating a viral video.
Three things all viral videos have in common they are authentic, entertaining, and memorable. In order to create a YouTube strategy your should develop a specific point of view. Think about the types of content you want to be known for, determine how you will distribute the content, to how you will optimize it along the way.
When it comes to building a massive YouTube audience. There are fundamentals that need to go into the copy and video production. As as a former television producer, I have some specific thoughts about quality production here my four basic rules.
- Keep is simple. A sixth grader should be able to understand the point.
- Keep it brief. Never produce a video over 2 minutes. (Honestly, keep it to 1 minute)
- Make sure it’s visual. Nothing is worse then using a video, when you really should have used audio.
- Invest in quality graphics. Professional artwork makes a big difference in how a video is perceived.
Many viral video campaigns fall flat because they don't follow these five steps:
- Create an emotional connection: Does your video make your audience reflect on a time in their past, have a good laugh or picture themselves in the future living their dreams. People share things that make them feel a certain way. Your content should create an emotional connection with your audience.
- Make your message stick: We all love slogans, they are so easy to remember. Alliteration is another great tool wordsmiths like to use to create association with messages. Pick something that is easy. What we share in social media defines who we are and our brand. Your message in your video needs to be clear and something people will want to be associated with.
- Teach em something: People love to learn new stuff. If you have developed a new way to do something that you share in an entertaining way, that can become viral. People respond well to easy steps. Try to incorporarte 3-5 action steps in your videos.
- Time your release: Pick a day and time to release your video when you'll need less overall views to reach the top of YouTube leaderboards in your chosen category. You’ll want your views to spike significantly during the first 24 hours to show YouTube algorithms high rates of views, likes, comments and shares.
- Rally your network: Get social proof for your video and some immediate views by emailing your fan list, inviting your Twitter followers, and Facebook fans to share it. You can use a platform like GroSocial to boost views from Facebook, where video is huge.
If you develop powerful viral video, you could create a whole new audience for your small business.Tags: Social Media, Video, Work Your Biz Wednesday, YouTube