A softphone, such as X-Lite, is a software program for making telephone calls over the Internet using a general purpose computer, rather than using dedicated hardware. Often a softphone is designed to behave like a traditional telephone, sometimes appearing as an image of a phone, with a display panel and buttons with which the user can interact. A softphone is usually used with a headset connected to the sound card of the PC.
How to set up an X-Lite soft phone in the Nextiva Portal:
For administrators, log in to the NextOS Portal by going to www.nextiva.com and selecting Customer Login from the top right corner. Enter your login credentials and click Sign in. Select Sites & Employees then click on Login under the Admin Login column. Click Users and search for the employee whose information you wish to edit. Click Edit.
For users, log in to the Customer Portal by going to cp.nextiva.com.
- Click View & Edit Devices, then select Add New Device.
- Click on Bring Your Own Device.
- From the Device Type drop down menu, select Generic SIP Phone then click Continue.
- From here, you will need to assign the Generic SIP Phone to an employee. Click on Sites & Employees. Then click on Employees.
- Click Edit next to the employee who you wish to assign the phone.
- Click Assign New Device in the Assigned Devices field.
- From the Device drop down menu, select Generic SIP Phone. Then click Generate next to the Authentication Password. Write down the SIP Username, the Authentication Name, and the Authentication Password (you will later enter these into the soft phone), then click Submit.
- Once the device is assigned, launch your X-Lite. Click on the Softphone tab, then select Account Settings.
Fill in the following fields:
- Account Name: Enter a name for your X-Lite account
- User ID: Enter the SIP Username you wrote down earlier
- Domain: Enter prod.voipdnsservers.com
- Password: Enter the Authentication Password you wrote down earlier
- Display Name: Enter your name here
- Authorization Name: Enter the Authentication Name you wrote down earlier
- Domain Proxy: Confirm "Register with domain and receive calls" is checked
- Send outbound via: Select "Proxy Address," and enter prod.voipdnsservers.com:5062
- Next, select the Voicemail tab. Enter *86 in the "Number to dial for checking voicemail" field.
- Then, click on the Topology tab. Select the radio button next to None (use local IP address)
- Afterwards, click the Transport tab and select TCP from the "Signaling transport" drop down menu. Click OK when done.
- Click on the Softphone tab again and this time select Preferences. In the left column, click on Audio Codecs. Using the >> and << buttons, move the codecs so that only G711 uLaw remains in the "Enabled Codecs" list.
- Lastly, click on Calls in the left column. In the "Other" field, uncheck Enable Inactivity timers then click OK.