Nextiva supports a variety of different softphones with our Hosted SIP Service. We recommend Bria, which is a product made by Counterpath, a non-affiliated company. Bria is simply-designed and offers the functionality necessary to integrate with our NextOS platform. It also provides a module that is easy to setup and use.
NOTE : Bria is not compatible with all iPhone Devices. Please review the following list to ensure that your iPhone device is compatible with the Bria softphone software before purchasing the application.
Voice / Messaging and Presence Add-On:
- iPhone - 3GS, 4, 4S, or 5 running iOS5+
- iPod - Touch (3rd generation+)
Video Calling Add-On:
- iPhone - 4, 4S, or 5 running iOS5+
- iPod - Touch (4th generation+)
1.) Our first step will include downloading and installing the Bria softphone on your iPhone device. There is a cost associated with this software and may be purchased through your Apple Store.
2.) Once the application has been installed, proceed to the set up process. There are few requirements that need to be completed within your Nextiva NextOS Portal before the softphone can be provisioned and register with Nextiva’s servers.
- An employee must be created within your NextOS Portal with an assigned extension
- A Generic SIP Device must be added to the NextOS Portal under Devices.
- The employee that was created must have a Generic SIP Device assigned to the employee under the Assigned Devices section. You can access this information by clicking EDIT next to the employee to which you wish to assign the softphone.
3.) Once you have opened the Bria application on your cell phone you will see an icon in the bottom right corner of the screen that appears as, Two Gear Sockets connected together. Select this icon to access the Settings Menu.
4.) At this point, you will see various options within the Settings Menu. From here, proceed by tapping the option labeled as Accounts.
5.) At the top of the screen you will see an option labeled as ACCOUNTS +. Tap this option to begin creating a new account through your Bria Softphone.
6.) Avoid selecting any of the predefined criteria of another provider. Proceed to select SIP Making Calls.
7.) Here you will enter in information necessary to provision the Bria Softphone with information that can be obtained through NextOS portal. Have your employee information available before proceeding into the next steps.
- Account Name – Enter “Nextiva” or any description you would like to describe as your account name.
- Display As – You can enter anything in this field and will typically show up as an “internal caller ID setting” when dialing another employee or extension on your NextOS portal.
- Username – this was created when you established the employee on the Nextiva NextOS Portal. You can EDIT your employee and proceed to click on EDIT under Assigned Devices to obtain these credentials. Your username will be labeled as “SIP Username” on the NextOS Portal.
- Password – This will also be defined under the EDIT section of your employee on the NextOS Portal. If it is not clearly visible on the portal, select Reset Authentication Password and press the Generate button. Here a new password will be created, and before submitting, enter the defined criteria into your Bria Softphone.
- Domain – your domain should be listed as, prod.voipdnsservers.com:5062 when connecting your Bria Softphone to a Nextiva NextOS account.
- VM Number – Your voicemail number should be entered as 9999
- Proceed to click on “Account Advanced”
- Outbound Proxy – This should be listed as, prod.voipdnsservers.com:5062
- Authorization Name – The authorization name will also be obtained through your NextOS portal along with the information of the SIP username and Domain. In your portal this will be labeled as Authentication Name.
- At this time select the Back option and return to the Accounts Menu
- In the upper left-hand corner of the screen select the ACCOUNTS button
- Proceed by tapping the PREFERENCES button
- Within the “Mobile Data Network” turn the following two settings ON
i. Use When Available
ii. Allow VoIP Calls
- In the upper left-hand corner of the screen select the ACCOUNTS button to return to the “ACCOUNTS” page
- Select the blue arrow to the right of your Nextiva account
- At the top of the Menu select the button labeled as REGISTER
- The softphone will display registered knowing that all necessary credentials have been met
- Place a test call to confirm success by selecting the PHONE icon at the bottom of the Bria Softphone Menu
NOTE : Bria’s interactions will vary depending on connection via Wi-Fi, 3G & 4G. It is recommended using the Bria Softphone with a Wi-Fi or 4G connection, typically. However, 3G connections may not provide enough bandwidth to support a quality phone call, depending on the signal strength of your service provider. Data rates with your service provider may apply.
Still have questions?