Creating a new employee or user gives you the ability to make and receive calls via your Nextiva phone. Unlike copper phone lines that require a phone number to be able to make and receive calls, VoIP phones do not require this. You can have multiple phone numbers route to one user, or none at all. To be able to make and receive calls, an employee must be created so that a phone can be linked to the user. This allows the system to correctly route calls.
How to create an employee from the Nextiva Portal:
- For administrators, log in to the NextOS Portal by going to www.nextiva.com and selecting Customer Login from the top right corner. Enter your login credentials and click Sign in.
- Once logged in, select Sites & Employees. Choose the site where you want the employee added. On the next page click on the blue Employees link for the correct site. On the new page, click the blue Create New Employee link in the upper right-hand corner.
- Fill in all required fields. The User ID is your username for log in purposes, and is similar the first part of an email address in that it needs to be unique within the Nextiva system. Try utilizing a naming convention such as company name, employee first initial, employee last name (i.e. nextivajsmith, nextivatreynolds).
- Next, you will assign an extension to the new employee. You can also add a direct dial phone number. To choose one, click the Phone Number drop-down box. Once you select a number, the last four digits will automatically become the extension. You can change this to anything you would like. Then, verify the E911 information is correct. If you have a remote user who isn’t in the same location as the rest of the site, you can enter new information here as well.
- Click Continue and the employee will be created and password information sent to the email for that user. Click Continue-No Email if you would prefer NOT to send the log in information.
- You will now be on the Assign a Device page. Here, you will select the phone you want assigned to this employee. Make sure to select the correct phone model and MAC address. If the device isn't listed, please click View & Edit Devices from the menu on the left. Here you can add a MAC address or configure a generic device. Next, select Generate next to the fields marked Authentication Name and Authentication Password and select Submit.
- Next, you'll need to configure the device. Instructions for provisioning your phone can be found by searching the Nextiva Support website.
Adding device Creating schedule Adding Package