Nextiva supports a variety of different softphones within the hosted SIP service. We recommend Bria, which is a product made by CounterPath, a non-affiliated company. Bria is simple and offers the functionality necessary to integrate with our NextOS platform. It also provides a module that is easy to set up and use.
NOTE : Bria is not compatible with all iPhone devices. Please review the following list to ensure that your iPhone is compatible with the Bria softphone software before purchasing the application.
Voice / Messaging and Presence Add-On:
- iPhone – 3GS, 4, 4S, or 5 running iOS5+
- iPod – Touch (3rd generation+)
Video Calling Add-On:
- iPhone – 4, 4S, or 5 running iOS5+
- iPod – Touch (4th generation+)
1.) The first step is to download and install the Bria softphone on your iPhone device. There is a cost associated with this software and may be purchased through the Apple Store.
2.) Once the application has been installed, there are few requirements that need to be completed within your Nextiva NextOS Portal before the softphone can be provisioned and register with Nextiva’s servers.
- An employee must be created within your NextOS Portal with an assigned extension
- A Generic SIP Device must be added to the NextOS Portal under Devices.
- The employee that was created must have a Generic SIP Device assigned to the employee under the Assigned Devices section. You can access this information by clicking Edit next to the employee to which you wish to assign the softphone.
3.) Once you have opened the Bria application on your iPhone, you will see an icon in the bottom right corner of the screen that appears as two gear sockets connected together. Select this icon to access the Settings Menu.
4.) You will see various options within the Settings menu. Tap the option labeled as Accounts.
5.) At the top of the screen, you will see an option labeled as Accounts +. Tap this option to begin creating a new account through your Bria softphone.
6.) Avoid selecting any of the predefined criteria of another provider. Proceed to select SIP Making Calls.
7.) Enter the criteria necessary to provision the Bria softphone with information that can be obtained through NextOS Portal. Have your employee information available before proceeding into the next steps.
- Account Name – Enter “Nextiva” or any description you would like to describe as your account name.
- Display As – You can enter anything in this field and will typically show up as an “internal caller ID setting” when dialing another employee or extension within your Nextiva account.
- Username – This was created when you established the employee in the NextOS Portal. You can Edit your employee and proceed to click on Edit under Assigned Devices to obtain these credentials. Your username will be labeled as “SIP Username” on the NextOS Portal.
- Password – This will also be defined under the Edit section of your employee on the NextOS Portal. If it is not clearly visible on the portal, select Reset Authentication Password and press the Generate button. A new password will be created, and before submitting, enter the defined criteria into your Bria softphone.
- Domain – your domain should be listed as prod.voipdnsservers.com:5062 when connecting your Bria softphone to a Nextiva account.
- VM Number – Your voicemail number should be entered as 9999
- Proceed by clicking on Account Advanced.
- Outbound Proxy – This should be listed as prod.voipdnsservers.com:5062
- Authorization Name – The authorization name will also be obtained through your NextOS Portal along with the information of the SIP username and Domain. In the Portal, this will be labeled as “Authentication Name.”
- Select the Back option and return to the Accounts menu
- In the upper left corner of the screen, select the Accounts button
- Proceed by tapping the Preferences button
- Within the “Mobile Data Network”, turn the following two settings “On”:
i. Use When Available
ii. Allow VoIP Calls
- In the upper left corner of the screen, select the Accounts button to return to the Accounts page
- Select the blue arrow to the right of your Nextiva account
- At the top of the menu, select the button labeled as Register
- The softphone will display “Registered” if all necessary credentials have been met
- Place a test call to confirm success by selecting the Phone icon at the bottom of the Bria softphone menu.
NOTE : Bria’s interactions will vary depending on connection via Wi-Fi, 3G & 4G. It is recommended using the Bria softphone with a WiFi or 4G connection, typically. 3G connections may not provide enough bandwidth to support a quality phone call, depending on the signal strength of your service provider. Data rates with your service provider may apply.
Tell us how can we improve this post?